FOR PDF OF ENTIRE ISSUE, CLICK ON LINK BELOW
Real Change Newspaper
Table of Contents
November 30, 2005, Vol. 12, No. 47
- Alito Bandito. Place Judge Alito on the Supreme Court and women will be robbed of their rights. Page 2
- Bah! Relief. FEMA gives Katrina victims placed in local hotels an early holiday gift: a Dec 15 cutoff for housing assistance.
- Retraining Call. A judge rules an Iraq War vet who forwent re-enlistment can get job training he seeks. Page 4
- Lox Americana. Paying homage to the Bagel Dude, who passed them liberally in the U-District. Page 5
- Crying Uncle. Advocate for women imperiled by war, Zainab Salbi recalls childhood with “Uncle” Saddam. Page 6
Lucky Escape. Local Nigerian reflects on treason and resistance by Cydney Gillis, Page1, 12
- Picture: Seattle resident Dokubo Goodhead doesn’t agree with his brother’s armed resistance to the oil-backed Nigerian government. He believes investment would solve much of the Niger Delta’s problems.
- Photo by Katia Roberts
Editorial: Are You Listening, Judge Alito? Nominee’s opinion harms the freedoms of women married to abusive partners by Marcy Bloom and Grace Huang, Page 2
Change Agent: Karyn Schwartz by Rosette Royale, Page 3
- Picture: Karyn Schwartz, helping communities stay healthy.
- Photo by Luke McGuff
Interview: King of Pain. Zainab Salbi on living in fear under “Uncle” Saddam by Robin Lindley, Pages 6, 7
- Picture: Zainab Salbi, here is Kosovo, working for the rights of women affected by war.
- Picture: A young Zainab Salbi, greeted by her then “Uncle” Saddam.
- Photos courtesy of Zainab Salbi
Adventures in Irony: Ah, The Good Old Days by Dr. Wes Browning, Page 9
Street Watch. Compiled by Emma Quinn, Page 9
Director’s Corner by Timothy Harris, Page 11
First things First. Get Involved. Take Action. City Council adds $2 Million to Human Services, Page 11
- Issue: This week, the Seattle City Council unanimously passed the 2006 budget. Due in large part to the pressure generated by the public, they added more than $2,040,000 to the Mayor’s original budget proposal for human services.
Calendar, Page 11
Copy of issue was obtained from microfiche in the University of Washington Suzzallo Library.